There is an increasing amount of scientific evidence that would indicate that hair cells and hair transplant quality decreases with age. Therefore, harvesting and banking hair cells at an early age will be expected to preserve high cell potency for future uses.
What is the benefit of banking?
The steps from hair donation to cell cryopreservation are already developed so banking now puts these patients “first in line” for transplantation of their hair cells to rebuild miniaturising follicles as soon as regulatory authorisation is obtained. The HairClone concept will not stop the underlying thinning process so will need to be repeated every 2-3 years in order to rebuild newly miniaturising follicles and maintain hair density as the patient’s own hair thins. HairClone has authorisation from the UK’s Human Tissue Authority through an agreement with an established tissue bank to begin follicle banking. The banking is the first stage in the process and HairClone is now working with a licensed cell manufacturing facility to develop authorisations to enable them to expand cells from cryopreserved follicles This will allow HairClone to offer a “Cell Expansion Service” ahead of gaining marketing license for the expanded cell therapy which would be regulated by the European Medicine’s Agency (EMA) as an Advanced Therapy Medicinal Product (ATMP) and By the U.S’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a Biologic.
Exciting and rapid progress in developmental biology will provide the scientific basis for this ground breaking new treatment and we expect that this could be in the clinic within the next few years although it will take several years before it is fully licensed around the world.
Why Bank now?
Banking now has several advantages
- Banking at the earliest opportunity “stops the clock” on the banked follicles ageing so the cells will be the most active when the treatment system is available and you need treatment
- Banking allows multiple treatments from the one simple surgery
- Banking follicles is the first step and those patients with banked follicles will therefore be first in line for the treatment once it is available
- All profits from the banking will go to accelerating the development of the R&D to bring the treatment to the clinic
- Follicles remain the property of the patient and could be used for other treatments if the patient decides to transfer them
How do I bank follicles?
Follicles can only be banked from tissue extracted at clinics that have been trained in the procedures and licensed as procurement centres. Please see the list of licensed procurement centres below.
Farjo Hair Institute (www.farjo.com). Call 0845 313 2131
Procurement centres will be announced in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New York, North Carolina, Florida, Texas, Colorado and California shortly.
Procurement centres will be announced in Toronto region shortly.
Procurement centres will be announced in Sydney, Canberra, Brisbane and Melbourne shortly.
Procurement centres will be announced in Aukland shortly.